Goal Setting – 5 Tips To Help You Smash Your Fitness Goals
Junk Free June is the perfect time to hit reset on your health and fitness goals. You’ve already taken the first step by cutting out the ‘junk’ so now’s your chance to up-the-ante on your fitness regime.
Here are 5 tips to help you set (and smash) your fitness goals
- Be smart about your goals– Your fitness goals should be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-bound). What do you want to achieve? What is your timeframe? How will you get there? You need to have an understanding of what it takes to achieve these goals, and have realistic expectations of yourself.
- Buddy up– Stay motivated by working out with a friend. Having a friend along for a workout gives you the added support, encouragement and motivation you both need to push past your limits.
- Find your fitness type– Are you a high intensity fanatic? Or a groovin’ guru? Try new classes and workouts to find out what makes you tick. If you find a workout you love, then you’re more likely to stick at it. For your goals to be attainable, you need to be 100% on-board with what is required to achieve them.
- Treat yourself– For every fitness milestone you achieve, it’s important to praise your efforts and treat yourself. This could mean a pamper day, some new gear for the gym or even some delicious guilt free treats.
- Be accountable– Talk about your goals, be accountable and keep pushing. Smashing your goals is 10% preparation and 90% hard work. The hardest part is often putting your sneakers on and getting out the door.
Fruits & Veggies in Season
Fresh – asparagus, beets, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, fennel (bulb), garlic, kale, gooseberries, lettuce, mustard greens, onion (green), peas, peppers, potatoes, radish, rhubarb, spinach, Saskatoon berries, squash (summer), strawberries, Swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips (white), zucchini
Storage/dried/frozen – beans, onions (red, yellow), shallots
Cool Down: Low-Calorie Summer Cocktails
Strawberry-Citrus Vodka Cocktail
This sweet-tart beverage may become your favorite way to enjoy summer’s best fruit. Muddle a pitcher’s worth of strawberries and mint in advance to quench thirsty crowds without breaking a sweat.
Frozen Lime Margaritas
Using store-bought limeade makes these margaritas a cinch to make; the extra ice keeps things light. With only 120 calories per drink, feel free to have a second — we are!
Spiked Pomegranate Lemonade
Club soda adds a welcome fizz and cuts the sweetness of this summer sipper. Add the antioxidant-rich pomegranate juice and you could practically call this a health tonic!
This lightened-up version of the Cuban classic will keep the heat — and weight gain — at bay. Save even more calories by swapping in a sugar substitute.
Perfect for summer entertaining, sangria can stretch a (cheap) bottle of wine into a party-ready pitcher. Add extra club soda for a practically guilt-free libation.
Healthy Living Tip:
Make it a habit to be on the move! The weather is beautiful. Rather than spending your nights curled up in front of the TV or phone, try scheduling in evening walks after dinner during the weekdays.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 package Mann’s Power Blend
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 tub tzatziki
- Cilantro for garnish
- 8 Mini naan breads (or 4 pieces naan bread cut in half)
Tandoori spice mix
- 4 tsp turmeric
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Tandoori spice mix
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat BBQ to high heat. Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise. Marinate chicken by mixing all ingredients together – you can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours in advance and you can make the Tandoori spice mix ahead of time as well.
- Add chicken to the grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove from heat. Add Mann’s Power Blend to each mini naan (or naan half) and top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, tzatziki and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!