Recovery: Naps and Sleep
By: JP E.
In order to practice healthy living and perform best at the gym, recovery is essential. Though there are many aspects to recovery, we will focus on the importance of naps and sleep.
First off, let’s talk about naps and why they should be considered a part of our daily routine. Essentially, naps are short periods of sleep that are taken during the day with the intention of restoring mental alertness.
Here are some of their benefits:
- They increase one’s attention, performance, learning and memory
- They restore one’s cognition, which can weaken when one feels drowsy
To have an effective nap, here are some tips to consider:
- Duration: less than 30 minutes
- When: no later than 3:00 P.M.
- Where: a quiet, dark and cool place
Next, let’s talk about the importance of sleep and how it can help us with recovery. Sometimes our lives become very busy and we end up not being able to sleep properly. As a result, we do not perform at our best and we feel tired throughout the day. When we are too tired, we might either skip going to the gym or force ourselves to workout, which can result in injury.
Here are 7 ways a proper sleep schedule can be beneficial:
- Improve function of immune system
- Improve memory and motor learning
- Help with physical and mental recovery
- Repairs body tissues
- Helps with decision making and concentration
- Reduces the feeling of fatigue
If we don’t give ourselves enough time to sleep, some potential consequences include:
- Impaired glucose metabolism (carbohydrates)
- Decrease in muscle recovery, muscle protein synthesis and muscle glycogen stores
- Lowered attention and focus
- Increased neuromuscular fatigue
- Increased risk of infection
While it is important to not get less sleep than necessary, you also do not want to oversleep. Here are some consequences of oversleeping:
- Weight gain
- Back pain
- Heart disease
To avoid the negative effects of not getting enough sleep and oversleeping, here are some tangible actions one can take:
- Eat a balanced diet with a variety of whole foods
- Drink plenty of water during the day
- Keep a regular sleep schedule
- Consume caffeine before lunch time
- Place your electronics away from your bed
By leaving enough time to nap and/or sleep, we allow ourselves to recover from built-up stress, focus properly throughout the day and get the best results from training at the gym. With this in mind, ensure you plan your day such that you have plenty of time to nap and/or sleep. Generally, a healthy rest schedule includes one 30 minute nap during the day and 7-9 hours of sleep at night.
Your Guide to Gym Etiquette
Are you new to Club16? Curious about gym etiquette?
Now more than ever it is important to be cautious to keep yourself and others safe. Here are 5 Gym Etiquette tips to follow during your workouts:
It’s very important to wipe down your equipment after use for the next person, this helps keep everything sanitary and safe. In addition to cleaning agents, there is hand sanitizer installed throughout the Clubs.
We also encourage our members to bring a small workout towel that they can use on equipment as an extra measure.
- Put equipment away
After using your weights, please remember to put them back in their appropriate spot- this will help others find what they are looking for and avoid any potentially dangerous situations by leaving weights on the floor.
- Social Distancing
During your workouts, be aware of your surroundings and give other members their space, this is especially important now. All of our Clubs have guided markers and signs to help remind our members of this.
- Wear Appropriate Attire
It’s important to wear appropriate gym attire to make the most of your workout and avoid any potential mishaps- this includes no boots or open-toed shoes.
- Be Courteous and Respectful towards Others
Overall, as long as you are respectful and mindful of other members during your session, it allows for a very pleasant and effective workout for all!
Sweet Chili Chicken Recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Sweet chili sauce
- Jasmine rice
- Mixed vegetables (carrots, red pepper, cabbage)
- Toppings (bean sprouts, scallions, peanuts, etc.)
- In a large bowl, mix chicken together with egg and cornstarch, then saute with sweet chili sauce and sriracha until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook the jasmine rice.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. Add carrots, red pepper and red cabbage to the same skillet and saute together with soy sauce.
- Divide rice among four glass meal prep bowls and top with veggies, then chicken and your choice of optional toppings. Serve and enjoy!